Friday, October 5, 2012

Elimination Diet: The small things

Well day 4 (Thursday) of detox done!

This process is definitely teaching me to appreciate the small things.

You never realize how much you take for granted until you're forced to change them.

It always comes down to free will though. Not just with  food but with everything.We all have unavoidable choices to make every day.Sometimes we think about the consequences before we make them, sometimes we don't. I have the free will to choose what I eat but now I also have to think about the consequences that come with it. My health has forced me to think beyond the momentary satisfaction of foods and focus on the effect (both short and long term).

In the past I wouldn't have thought twice about having breakfast tacos and a crazy sweet tea for breakfast (let's just say a place called Norma's got a lot of my business in high school) After I got sick I made a few diet changes, tried to eat better (for the most part) But it was usually always something with substance. Now it's lemon water and a smoothie for breakfast. However I can I'm glad to say this diet doesn't have to be a liquid only one...been there...done that.Appreciate not doing it now.

Ahh the small things.

Before this I could sit down and eat a whole bag of my favorite snack: tortilla chips. (especially Chili's chips and salsa!)Miss you my friends. But now I can't even tell you how much I look forward to a rice cake (or as Jeremy calls them "edible coasters"). A rice cake people! Never in a million years would I have thought those words would come out of my mouth and I'd actually mean them!

God's definitely using this to teach me to appreciate the small things.

Just because things with my health are different than they used to be or how I expected them to be doesn't mean I still don't have to much to be grateful for.It doesn't mean they couldn't always be worse. The limits become only what I put on myself. I used to love working out, running outside, playing sports. Now it's really hard for me. It's painful and it's been a hard reality for me to face.

But I realize in this moment I can choose to just complain and feel sorry for myself. I could choice to avoid it knowing it will only cause discomfort in pain. Or I can choose to focus on what I can do and what I will do. But by God's strength I'm choosing to push through believing it'll all be worth it. Believing that one day I'll not just be back to where I was but even stronger than ever. Been to the gym every day this week!:)

The small things.

Choices are an integral part of all of our lives. Big or small they all have some sort of consequence. Of course I desire to be healthy,to have less pain, to start a family one day but how much do I want it? Every choice I make with my body is either going to bring me closer to that, push me further away, or keep me in the same spot.

"If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones." Luke 16:10

I want to show God he can trust me with the big things to come by being faithful with the small things now.







No comments:

Post a Comment