Monday, January 27, 2014

If you want to be a racist...


Judgement...
hatred....
two strong words. Two words that drive a lot of the beliefs and actions of society. It's not about posted laws...it's about the heart. Seeing someone as different than we are and thinking we are better than them is judgement at its finest. Race, social standing, ethnicity, sexual preference, religious views, lifestyle choices, the list goes on. How often does the world look at others through the eyes of judgement, through the lens of bitterness and hate. Why? Because they are different. Whether by choice or not, they aren't like we are. They don't believe what we do, live like we do, talk like we do so they are not worth our love? Is that the message we want to leave for our kids? I would hope not.

You know what? I don't judge the person who wants to be racist because that was ingrained in them or the person who chooses to hate gays because they don't agree with that lifestyle. As a Christian woman I can already hear you saying "What's wrong with you?" But if I chose to judge them than I would be doing the same thing they are doing. And my heart has never been to judge even if I may not agree with someone. So no, I don't feel hatred for them, what I do feel is sorry for them. My heart hurts for them because I know how much they are missing out on by choosing to hold onto that hatred. By clinging tight to their prejudices. They are missing out on getting to meet some amazing people.

Yes as a Christian there are things I believe in for myself but I have so many amazing people in my life who don't share all those beliefs. And I love them. I think to myself how sad it would be to have missed out on getting to know them just because I may not agree with everything they do. Since when did we become so prideful to think that we have the right or authority to judge people for being different than us? It's one of the things that breaks my heart the most in this world.

Especially when people try to bring God into it. When Christians specifically try to use the bible or what they believe as a weapon to judge others, something isn't right. No I don't think it's wrong to stand up for what you believe in and speak the truth. But there's a difference between believing in something and using it to judge someone who doesn't. Last time I checked God said he created us ALL in his image. He doesnt mess up. He doesnt make junk. We are all his creation and he is in LOVE with his creations. Black, white, Hispanic, Asian, gay, straight, poor, rich.... there are no standards for his love. No restrictions to his grace. We are all at different stages of our walk in life. And honestly the thing you think that person is struggling with, although it seems like it to you, isn't any worse than the things you have or are struggling with yourself. That's not a fun truth to believe, but it is just that, TRUTH.

So if the God who created the universe can love ALL people the same why can't we?

The bible says that man judges by outward appearance but God looks at the heart. We are called to LOVE others whether WE think they are worthy of it or not. You don't have to agree with someone to love them.

So if you want to be a racist that is your choice. I'm not going to try and change you becauae lets face it, I can't. But all I will say is man you sure are missing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment