Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Let go, press forward, and Enjoy!

"Beloved,I do not consider that
I have made it my own;
but this one thing I do:
forgetting what lies behind
and straining forward to what lies ahead"
Philippians 3:13-14 (NRSV)
"Ouch!" Life sure is painful sometimes, isn't it?
Yesterday I warmed up some soup in the microwave that my mom had sent home with me.Yes my mom is awesome, I know.
Well in my state of hunger I didn't do the first cardinal rule of microwave use...Eager to taste the deliciousness that is my mom's cooking I didn't check to see how hot the soup was before I put a whole steaming spoonful in my mouth. BIG mistake according to my scorched tongue.

"I wish I could change it." Was only one of the many thoughts that popped in my head in the midst of my childlike "ouchie" dance.
How often have we said that in our lives? Whether because of the consequences we face or the guilt we feel, we replay our screw ups over and over. All it does is exhaust us while we waste so much time and energy trying to reenact what we'd have done differently.

The truth of the matter is we can't change what happened.All we can do is learn from it.
God's grace is AMAZING. It's undeserved favor regardless of the circumstances! We don't lose it when we screw up, big or small! Take a minute and think about that...While we're beating ourselves up, God is saying "let it go, I have something bigger and better to show you!"

This verse is from Paul, a man who at one point in his life would torture and sometimes execute Christians! Yet God used him as one of the most influential people in the bible!

The fact is,as humans we'll always make mistakes.But it's through those mess ups that God is preparing us for something better.As hard as it can be to wait God has a big plan for each of us and just like my soup we have to be at the right temperature to be ready to enjoy it completely.

So, that thing you're holding onto that you wish you could change, let it go so you can press forward and enjoy the amazing thing God will replace it with!


Prayer Starter: God, I pray that I will let go of the past, all the hurts and mistakes. I know I can't do it without your help. I can't change it but help me to learn from it and move on stronger and better than ever. Help me to push forward trusting that you're working in my life even when I can't see it and that you are using my past and present circumstances for my good. Thank you for your grace and for not giving up on me even when I give up on myself. My future is in your hands and I'm ready to see what you have for me.  

2 comments: